The City of Frankfort is celebrating Women’s Equality Day this Saturday in a big way with a full schedule of events. WUKY’s Alan Lytle has this preview.
Join the Women's Suffrage Centennial Chorus on Saturday, August 21st in downtown Frankfort to celebrate voting rights for women.
Here's the schedule for the Women's Equality Celebration day in Frankfort.
- 9:00 AM - Frankfort Cemetery Tour of Suffragists - participate in a one hour guided tour of suffragists buried in the cemetery. Transportation provided via Frankfort Trolley. Registration required. Download the (.pdf) brochure of the cemetery tour - it includes a map of the gravesites where 25 Frankfort suffragists will be honored with a commemorative bronze plate.
- 11:00 AM - Women's Equality March on Broadway - wear your Suffrage whites and march to celebrate women's rights. Meet in front of the Paul Sawyier Public Library and march to the Old Capitol grounds, passing historic Frankfort landmarks along the way.
- 12 noon - Celebration on Old Capital Lawn - Hear from notable Kentucky women on the steps of the Old Capitol to celebrate and recognize the women's equality movement.
- 12 - 6 PM - Downtown Frankfort Shopping & Dining - visit downtown Frankfort shops and restaurants for special meals and deals celebrating women's equality.
- 12 - 6 PM - Women's Suffrage History Walk - Complete a 10 stop, self-guided history walking tour throughout downtown that gives a timeline of the women's suffrage movement.
- 12 - 4 PM - Capital City Museum - visit Frankfort's own history museum. Admission is free.
- 12 - 2 PM - Liberty Hall Open House - visit historic Liberty Hall for tours and narrated history throughout the afternoon. Admission is free.
- 1 PM & 3 PM - Suffragist Showcase & Film at Library - view the library's showcase of African American suffragists from 1-3 PM, and a 50 minute documentary film beginning at 3 PM.
- 1:30 PM - Kentucky Women Behaving Badly Tour - join the Kentucky History Center for a guided history tour focused on Kentucky's remarkable women. Tickets required.
Registration is required for some activities, so RSVP online to get regular updates and more information at https://www.kywscc.org/