20th annual Thriller Parade highlights city's Halloween Festival
Grab your costumes and get ready for some spine-chilling fun around town, including Lexington’s 20th Halloween Festival & Thriller Parade.
“Zombies will rise again, as the Halloween Festival & Thriller Parade haunts downtown on October 22nd,” Mayor Linda Gorton said. “This will be the 20th time Zombies have danced down Main Street, and it has become one of our most popular traditions. As always, the iconic Kentucky Theatre, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year, will serve as the premier starting location for the parade.”
The popularity of the Thriller parade has brought national attention to Lexington in recent years. Lexington was named a Top 10 Halloween Destination by USA Today and featured in O The Oprah Magazine as one of the Top 25 Best Halloween Festivals in the U.S.
In addition to Thriller, there are many other Halloween events to enjoy. People can ‘pledge their pumpkin’ to the third annual Jack-o-lantern Trail, which will light up McConnell Springs Park Oct. 27-30. Other parties and activities will take place in parks, community centers, and on golf courses to fill out the schedule, including the second annual Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) Festival, taking
place on Oct. 29 at Valley Park.
“Lexington Parks & Recreation has a full schedule of fun, family-friendly events for all to enjoy this month,” said Amber Luallen, Superintendent of Cultural Arts & Events at Lexington Parks & Recreation. “From movies to dog park parties, golf tournaments to printmaking – there is truly something for everyone and multiple ways to celebrate the season. We hope you’ll sign up to be a zombie in the parade – the final required rehearsal is tomorrow, Oct. 15. Or join us at one of our many other events throughout the month!”
Embrace your inner ghoul or goblin with the following events this season:
- Oct. 15 – Halloween Printmaking Workshop at Artworks at the Carver School
- Oct. 15 and 22 – Pumpkin Carving at Raven Run Nature Sanctuary
- Oct. 15 – Freaky Flicks (Addams Family Values) at Moondance Amphitheater
- Oct. 16 – Pumpkin Patch Classic at Tates Creek Golf Course
- Oct. 19 – Yappy Hour Howloween Party at Jacobson Park Dog Park
- Oct. 19 – Free Costume Giveaway at Dunbar Community Center
- Oct. 22 – Halloween Festival & Thriller Parade, 4:30 – 9:30 p.m., Downtown
- Oct. 22 and 29 – History & Mysteries at Raven Run Nature Sanctuary
- Oct. 23 – Carve & Chip’n at McConnell Springs Park
- Oct. 27–30 – Jack-o-Lantern Trail at McConnell Springs Park
- Oct. 28 – Kids Halloween Costume Party at Dunbar Community Center
- Oct. 29 – Dia de los Muertos Festival at Valley Park
- Oct. 31 – Lexington Trick-or-Treat, 6 – 8 p.m.
For more info about these upcoming events, residents are encouraged to visit lexingtonky.gov/halloween.