You'll be able to purchase some of your favorite lunches again this summer from food trucks in downtown Lexington.
On Tuesday Matt Bradford of Bradford BBQ and other food truck operators appealed to a committee of the Urban County Council, asking them to extend a pilot program that allowed food trucks in designated areas of downtown Lexington.
“Last year when we met we were looking to streamline where we were to be able to operate in 2013. You all allowed us with our vision to be able to operate. Where we are now, I feel like in 2014, where we are now as opposed to where we were two years ago, I believe that we’re going to go forward.”
Bradford said his business alone has accounted for nearly a dozen jobs and thousands of dollars in revenue. Council member Shevawn Akers told committee members who are reviewing the program that so far, evaluations are all positive.
“If you look at the number of citations issued from the Division of Police, there were zero. The number of complaints or concerns to LexCall or the CAO’s office were also zero. The number of minority or women owned businesses according to the division of purchasing were two. According to the parking authority there were zero citations reporting to the parking authority and then the Health Department, there were five permit applications received during the pilot project and there were no closures and no failing inspections were issued.”
Committee members voted unanimously to extend the program until the end of the year. Sean Tibbetts, president of the Bluegrass Food Truck Association expects more food trucks to participate in the program if the council gives final approval which could happen in early March.