This Saturday marks the beginning of the end of summer for Fayette County school students as the YMCA of Central Kentucky and other corporate partners team up to hold Back To School Rallies all over Lexington.
Jessica Berry, Vice President of Youth Development, says they’ll be handing out 7,000 backpacks stuffed with essential items for elementary, middle, and high school students including notebooks, writing instruments, index cards, crayons and glue.
"School supplies can be very costly, especially if you have multiple children," Berry told WUKY. "So this is just our way of trying to help provide support for students and their families. We don't provide all of the supplies but we supply the basics we know that they need to get started," said Berry.
The rallies start at 9 a.m., with the backpack distribution at noon.
- Coolavin Park, 550 E. Sixth St.
- Douglass Park, 726 Georgetown St.
- Gainesway Park, 3460 Milano Road
- Gardenside Christian Church, 940 Holly Springs Drive
- Gethsemane Lutheran Church, 2185 Garden Springs Drive
- Green Acres Park, 1560 LaSalle Road
- Imani Family Life Center, 1555 Georgetown St.
- Lou Johnson Park, 190 Prall St.
- Marlboro Park, 1870 Benton Road
- Russell Cave Church of Christ, 1841 McCullough Drive
- Shiloh Baptist Church, 237 East Fifth St.
- Speigle Heights Park, 424 Speigle St.
- Total Grace, 1313 N. Limestone St.
- Valley Park, 2077 Cambridge Drive
- Woodhill Park, 457 Larkwood Drive